Thursday, June 12, 2014

Sacrifice? Yah right…

      Before coming to Africa for the first time in 2012 my thoughts were as follows: "Man, what a sacrifice our missionaries make everyday." "what a sacrifice it must be to be away from family." "what a SACRIFICE it must be living out of the U.S." "What a sacrifice it must be to be minority in a land without the common conviences of home." "What a SACRIFICE." 

     It didn't take me long to realize that our missionaries never once considered what they do a sacrifice. In fact, most of them would rather live on the missions field without the common conviences of home, just to reach a lost people. Over here its just different. People are more open. Because they have nothing, they are open to anything. Though some of your more extreme religions are not open to you at all. Just pray for them ;) Please allow me to take a minute and explain some things you may consider a "sacrifice".

  1. "Cold water Sheaves for Christ Challenge" I'm sure you have heard of this. Someone will challenge you to jump in or have cold water poured on you and you donate a $1 to missions. If you don't do it you have to donate $10. Well FIRST off why wouldn't you rather donate $10 to Sheaves for Christ anyways and not have to jump in cold water?! That's what I would do. O.K. … so my point is… here, we take the "cold water challenge" everyday! There is no hot water! No hot water in the sinks, none for the washer, and yes, none for the shower! We take cold water showers everyday! Even colder showers after it rains! Though very refreshing with this kind of heat, you never really feel clean. By the time you dried off, you're already sweating again. So try the everyday "cold water challenge" and then tell me how you feel ;) 
  2. There's no "quick trip" to wal-mart here! You may have to go to several different stores to get all the things you need! And as I quickly learned, just because it has an american name on it, doesn't mean it's gonna be like it is in America! ;) I bought "Hot Cheetos" and was so excited about them! When I opened the bag imagine my surprise when I found regular plain jane cheetos. disappointment  ;) 
  3. Humidity. Need I say more? You always sweat! You never feel clean. Just, don't even try ;)
  4. Being away from family and friends when they are in need. My first night here my nana was rushed to the hospital with fluid on her heart. I never imagined something like this would happen. It was hard not being there. I just wanted to hug her. She was in the hospital for a few day and went home. Then she developed bronchitis. And now she has developed double pneumonia and was rushed back to the hospital. Lord help her. I want to be there so bad. But I know I am here for a reason. I can't jump on a plane and be home in a few hours. It doesn't work that way. Sister Sully told me take it 5 minutes at a time. Take a deep breath and ask God to get me through the next 5 minutes. Take another deep breath, "Lord get me through the next 5 minutes." She lost her dad last year and she said that truly helped her get through the trial. 
  5. "Toto we're not in Kansas anymore". It doesn't take you long after landing in Africa to realize you aren't "home" anymore. It's a completely different world over here. In a place where motorcycles rule the road and religion is on every street corner it can be a little overwhelming. Main rule of thumb is just be careful! :) though most of the people are extremely kind and welcoming, you have to still be careful. 
  6. Say bye bye to air conditioner. Yah, I said it. Say bye bye. We went in our first air conditioned room since we left the U.S. last saturday. That would be a grocery store ;) 
  7. Don't speak another language. Don't expect to communicate. It's really hard. You want to reach out, but if you on't speak their language it can be difficult. Though in the end, God can reach through any language. 

     I'm sure the missionaries would have a lot more to add to this list. These are just a few I've come to realize on this trip and my last. But let me defend what I am saying as well. We as americans would consider every single one of these a sacrifice. I mean hello?! We are an extremely spoiled nation! Who would willing put themselves through that?! Well, every missionary on every missions field would probably say the thing. "I would give it up in a heart beat if it means reaching the lost." These aren't "sacrifices" per say. These are things we will and would love to give up. Consider them gone. Souls are FAR more important than common conveinces. I don't consider missionaries to be making sacrifices anymore. Its not a sacrifice if you are willing giving something up. I've come to realize the heart of missionary is one of the fullest hearts in the World. To have that kind of passion for a people is breath taking. It is so inspirational. I am being trained by my heroes. These are the people I look up to. These are the people I want to strive to be like everyday. They are simply amazing. :)
    During Brother Adam's class on tuesday he began to tell us about each country in West Africa. As he told us about the countries he too gave their population. Brother Sully asked him why he didn't just round off the numbers? Why be exact? And his answer was something I will never forget… "I didn't round off because each of these number represents a soul." Wow. Each. Number. Represents a soul. Through out 23 countries in West Africa there are 374, 641, 170 souls. That's 374, 641, 170 reasons to pray. That's 374, 641, 170 reasons to fast. 374, 641, 170 reasons to seek Gods will for your life. 374, 641, 170 reasons to answer the call. That's 374, 641, 170 reason to GO. "Here I am God. Send me. Whatever the cost, send me. Lord have YOUR will in my life." 
     Today in class Brother Richardson told us about each West African nation that doesn't have missionaries in them. I felt lead to pray for Mauritania. I went up and wrote the countries name on the board and prayed for God to open doors for the gospel to get into the country. For God to send forth Labors to harvest. For people to answer Gods call. If you find yourself in prayer tonight, please pray for Mauritania. Pray people will begin to seek Gods will and pray doors will be open for us to work in this country. For pray revival. Thank you very much! 

Love you all! Until next time…
  • Brandi Young 

No comments:

Post a Comment