Monday, June 2, 2014

We have arrived! ;)


    Tonight I got another glimpse of the life of a missionary. My nana was rushed to the hospital with fluid on her heart back in the states and it is extremely hard not being there for her. I know she understands but I just want to hug her :( she is my best friend. But we have an entire team of missionaries and AIMers here in Togo praying for you nana! I know God is the great healer and will heal your body and make you whole. Though I wish I could be there I have to be strong here and leave it in Gods hands. I trust you Lord. Please heal my nana. Another reason missionaries are the strongest people I know. They have no choice but to be strong. When you are thousands of miles away, God has to be your comfort. 
     It took us 2 days to get to Togo. I didn't sleep a wink on the planes so I was exhausted upon landing! Flying in at night was beautiful! The Adams and Sullys picked us up from the airport and took us to our compound. We got to ride in Sheaves for Christ vehicles. It was pretty awesome! And I can truly say they are highly appreciated from the Missionaries and  much needed! When got our rooms situated we all talked a little and then crashed! We do have internet but it is really choppy. We a lot of people connected it's hard to get thru sometimes. I am getting a cell phone tonight so I will be able to contact family and friends. 
     The compound we are staying in is beautiful! Tropical plants and palm trees line our gates. We have guards 24/7 and a locked gate so we are safe. :) Big lizards are everywhere! We were told that if they get in our too to just leave them because they eat the bugs. I would be On my way! It would be ok with this ;) they are cute ;) so we have no hot water here. But to be honest... The cold water feels GREAT! 
     This morning we had orientation and got a lot of information about Togo and the people here. After that we went to the market and got some snacks and water for our rooms. We then ate at an adorable little pizzeria. African pizza is definitely not like American pizza. But it is quite delicious! ;) I had Hawaiian. Did I mention how AMAZING the fruit is?! It's all so fresh and sweet! Especially the bananas! :) The cook for the compound made USA. Delicious breakfast. Complete with oatmeal, bananas, bread and jelly... And peanuts. they LOVE peanuts here. They are pretty much served with every meal :) 
     Driving around Togo reminded me of Tanzania in a lot of ways. The same dirt covered streets, 1000's of motorcycles and markets and people... Everywhere! Driving is crazy here! No one pay attention to street signs, road lanes and other drivers ;) really have to be careful. We are already learning a little French. It is complicated but a beautiful language! We have our first kids crusade on Saturday and Sunday it is Pentecost Sunday! A great service to be expected! I will update as often as I can internet permitting! Keep watching :) 

Until next time,
Brandi 

1 comment:

  1. So wonderful to be following your trip and your story! I am so glad you came to First HSV and shared your trip and passion with us - it was our first time to First HSV on a Wednesday night, and I'm glad we picked that Wednesday to start coming! So excited to see what all God has in store for you and the people there. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete