Monday, June 30, 2014

A marketing we will go! :)

Hello all! Sorry I haven't posted in a while! :) A lot has happened since the orphanage! It's been absolutely amazing here in Africa. This place truly has my heart. I can't even explain. It's like every face I see is reaching out for someone to help them. It's hard at times, knowing I can't help everyone. But I feel like if I can reach one person, it'll be worth it. That one person can reach someone else, and that person another. :) We have had amazing church! There truly is nothing like African church! :)
So the day after the orphanage we needed a much needed break so we went and spent the day at Coco Beach. It was beautiful! It was a bast to just relax and have fun with my Next Steps family. :) The waves were so big! A huge storm was rolling in off the coast so it was perfect for "body surfing". We actually did not intend to get that wet. We were all about knee deep and this huge wave came and literally took all of us out! The video is on Facebook and its hilarious! ;) I'll share it on my wall so people can see. :) The next day we had our first experience at the market, and an experience it was. It is really overwhelming! Once the people get word that theres a group of "yovos" in town, (evay word for white people) the marketers go crazy! The pull stuff out of there shops, follow us around throwing stuff in your face they want you to buy. We got bombarded! It was extremely stressful for me! Honestly, I couldn't even enjoy shopping because we were surrounded by so many people who wanted us to buy their stuff! It's fun to bargain with them, because they jack up prices because they think we are rich. which definitely is not true!  ;) I don't quite have the whole bargaining thing down yet . I normally just go in half, but it stresses me out! ;) Towards the end of the day things got better though. I found a beautiful painting to add to my painting I got in Tanzania. I also got a few gifts. We plan on going back, so I will go in with a  game plan, and know what I want to pay! ;) I got this! :)
      On friday me and a few other girls decided to venture out on our own. We hailed a taxi, spoke what little french we knew to get to "Festival de Glass" down town. It's a good restruant with an ice cream parlor. The cab ride was a tad sketchy. We freaked out for like a spilt second because we didn't know where we were. But we did make it! So then we ate and hailed another cab with a driver who only spoke Evay. Which is a french dialect. So, here we are trying to communicate with what VERY LITTLE french we know, to a guy who only speaks Evay. It was hilarious! No one knows where we live! So we showed him an address thinking it was the address to our home here. Well, we get in and soon enough we end up at the Adam's house! We started cracking up, but he just didn't get it. Luckily from there we knew how to get home. :) Trying to do hand signals for him to direct him we saw the Adam's in a car in front of us! It was hilarious! So we told him to follow them!  ;) Quite the adventure. Needless to say we made it back safely and in one piece! :) I haven't rode on a moto-taxi yet, but oh I plan to! ;) They look so much fun! 
On Saturday we had our 5th "PentecotĂ© pour les Enfants". It went splendid. Saturday afternoon we just had a chill evening. Sunday I went to the bible college church with a few girls. We all had "African" outfits made! They are all so beautiful! :) So we wore those to fit in at church. :) The bible college is beautiful! We are working there the next 3 days. Pictures to come! :) I hope all is well with everyone! It may be a few days till I update because we will be doing a lot of work with the bible school. Things are going great! I'm not exactly ready to go home just yet. It's hard to believe we leave in a month :( 
Love you all! See ya soon! :)

-Brandi Young

No comments:

Post a Comment