Tuesday, June 24, 2014

We found love in a hopeless place...

   Hello all! The past few days in in Togo have been absolutely beautiful. And not just weather wise :) Sunday we went to Brother Kofie's church in a local village. He church was absolutely amazing!!! I would say there are upward of 300 people who go there. The music, the worship, it was all just so beautiful! There is no way I will be able to adjust to American church again! I'm gonna bring Africa home ;) We danced literally until I thought my feet were gonna fall off! Then his choir sang that most beautiful song! I'll try and get some videos posted but the internet isn't that great here. Then our Next Steps group sang "At the Cross I Bow My Knee" in french and in english. The crowds responded really well! What I love about His church is that it can go from dancing like crazy, to hands in your face on your knees at the alter in like .5 seconds! It was so powerful! It was an amazing alter call!  I forgot how many received the Holy Ghost but I will let you know! :) 
After church 6 of us girls got to go to a autism at the ocean! It was the coolest expierence ever! Brother Kofie baptized 5 in the sweet name of Jesus. One girl didn't have the Holy Ghost and she came out of the water speaking in tongues! It was so the coolest experience! Right there on a public beach! God is so good! :) After that Brother Sully took us for some ice cream and croissants! The most delicious croissants ever! :) I will try and get some videos posted of the baptisms! :) 
   So today we went to the orphanage. It was one of the most humbling experiences of my entire life. Today was absolutely amazing. When we arrived the director showed us around the orphanage. We saw the boys dorms, the girls dorms, the "kitchen and dining area" and the yard where the children play. There are a lot of crops that grow there. They also raise chickens for eggs, and food. ;) I honestly can't explain it. No brush could paint the picture.  No words could explain. A picture you can see, sure. But until you go and see for yourself, you have no idea. A piece of my heart was left with each and every single one of those kids. Orphans. Maybe their parents died. Maybe they ran away. Or their family simply couldn't afford to take care of them. It doesn't matter. They simply stole my heart. I pictured an orphanage to be very sad. To be full of depressed kids and teenagers. What I found was completely different from what I was expecting. I found hearts full of joy. I found kids dancing and singing and laughing. I found smiles in place of frowns and I found love in place of despair. Where I thought I would cry all day, I found myself laughing and playing. Though I did shed tears, most of all I laughed. The kids are so funny! A simply smile lit up their world. A simply hug sent their hearts soaring. Picking up a child made their day. But most of all, sharing God's love while we were at it, that changed their lives. I met a girl who was extremely sick with malaria. Though she wanted to laugh and play with the rest of us, she couldn't. Instead, I sat and prayed with her. As I hugged her frail body she shook uncontrollably. I began to cry and beg God to heal her. I don't know if I will see her again. But I have faith that God will her. We handed each kid a gift bag of toys, clothes and candy. Their faces lit up! They loved it! I also met a little girl named Beauty. She is probably about 3 or 4. She stole my heart today. She ran to me and jumped in my hearts, several times. We laughed and spun and took lots of pictures. She took my sun glasses off and wore them most of the of the day. She held my hand and wouldn't leave my side. She cried when I left and she broke my heart. Her name is Beauty. She is an orphan here in Africa, and she has a piece of my heart. We plan on going back to orphanage in a few weeks. I am so excited! 
  I will try and get pis to load as best I can. :) It will probably be later tonight though. A HUGE thank you to everyone who donated for the kids. You absolutely made their day and changed their lives.  You are awesome :) Please keep these kids in your prayers. :)

Until next time!
-Brandi

1 comment:

  1. Brandi, this is such a beautiful story! I am so blessed by reading what you and God are doing over there in Africa. When I think of an orphanage I definitely think of depression and despair. It's so neat and interesting to see how much hope and love those children have, and so blessed to have you all ministering to them spiritually, emotionally, and physically. You and your group are such a blessing! I am so glad i got to meet you at First HSV and I look forward every day to seeing updates from your trip!

    ReplyDelete